Welcome to WWE, Survivor style! I will be your host, Scottie the Body taking you through the first episode of Survivor. Fresh off the worst season of Big Brother in ten years, I’m excited for the Start of the Survivor season and I think the first episode did not disappoint. I don’t want to bring Big Brother into this blog too much, but obviously with the majority of that season filled with cast members that would have fit in with one of Leonardo DiCaprio’s dinner parties in Django Unchained, it’s nice to have some likable cast members for this season of Survivor, as CBS glances at Colton’s photo with target sign drawn on his face and a trained assign on call on the island if Colton has any “incidents” this season. CBS has filled this season with enough gimmicks and forced twist to make M.Night Shyamalan proud. This season of Survivor feels like the apex of WWE Wrestling, with all the colorful characters and all the twist’s and format changes to make any fan excited. I’ve decided to probably alienate any future readers I may have had by comparing all the pairs this season to former WWE wrestling pairs. Obviously some of the comparisons are going to be better than others and will probably run out of steam half way through the blog but, if you want to complain, I will drop a Brutus the Barber Beefcake sleeper hold on you!
Let’s introduce are pairs and get into the action!
- Jeff Probst introduced as Vince McMahon. www.youtube.com/watch?v=
Seriously, how great would it be if Jeff Probst came out every episode to that song with his Jeff Probst swagger he’s acquired over the years? I like how Jeff has become more of an agitator as the seasons have worn on. It will be weird the day Survivor is done for good and Jeff is playing the abusive husband with a double life in a Lifetime original movie. Until then, Jeff is the man you don’t piss off…ever!
- Rupert and Laura introduced as The Bushwackers. www.youtube.com/watch?v=
- Candice and John introduced as The Rockers. www.youtube.com/watch?v=
- Aras and Vytas introduced as The Heart Foundation. www.youtube.com/watch?v=
- Colton and Caleb introduced as Rhythm and Blues. www.youtube.com/watch?v=
- Tina and Katie introduced as The British Bulldogs.
Obviously there are not a lot of physical comparisons between the two pairs, but there are some similarities in that both pairs are seen as nice, good natured people, very loyal to one another and fan favorites. Tina still seems to have some “love” from survivor fans after all these years and based just on this episode (small sample size) it appears that Tina will be in position to make another deep run in the game(except I see another destiny for Tina). Katie on the other hand may be drawing dead if she can’t make it to the merge, as the men seem to be willing to pick off the women on their tribe for the time being. I would wager my non-profit/social worker salary(which is embarrassingly low, seriously, I have a friend who sells advertising to golf courses and make quadruple what I make helping kids get off drugs, but I’m not bitter ;)) that Tina will sacrifice herself if Katie gets sent to Redemption Island. I think Tina wants this for her daughter more than she does for herself. If Katie does make it to the merge, I can see this duo making a deep run as Tina has one of the better social games out of this cast and could potentially carry her daughter far in the game. Both of this duo’s fates rest on Katie making it to the merge.
- Gervase and Marissa introduced as The Nasty Boys. www.youtube.com/watch?v=
- Tyson and Rachel introduced as The Million Dollar man and Virgil. www.youtube.com/watch?v=
One of thee most hated yet likable villains of all time, The Million dollar Man. I think this might be my favorite comparison. Tyson is someone I really enjoy watching play Survivor. He is good at competitions and he plays his social game with a wolf-ish smile at all times. Again, we didn’t see a lot of the Vet’s camp this episode so we don’t know how Tyson is going to play this season, but I would guess he makes it pretty far. Tyson’s problem in the past is that he would always appear to lose focus in the game at the worst possible times. He famously screwed himself in Hero’s vs. Villains by not listening to the best player of all time Boston Rob(Ya I said it) by forgetting to vote strategically. Consider me #TeamTyson for this season though, as no matter what he is always entertaining. As far as Rachel goes, she is like the body guard Virgil, very quiet and we don’t know much about her. I have no idea how to speculate how she will do in this game, because she seems pretty passive on a tribe with a few outspoken alpha dogs. If her tribe loses again this week she could be in danger if the guys stick together.
- Laura and Ciera introduced as Demolition!!(because I couldn’t find a good comparison so I went with the most extreme, absurd tag team for them to be compared to) One of the better moments of this episode were the daughters squaring off with the mothers on the puzzle, with Ciera claiming beforehand that she is better than her mother at doing puzzles, then promptly losing the comp because she was not better than her mother at doing puzzles. Laura in her season pretty much got “Hantz’d” and then joined the bitterest jury in the history of Survivor when they stuck their collective middle fingers at Russell Hantz and gave the game to a player who didn’t have a pulse for the majority of her season. Laura is a strong competitor, which should ensure her safety early on in the game. Ciera, like every other female on her tribe could be in trouble when her tribe loses again. I could see Laura taking Ciera’s place at Redemption, and would take her over most of the players this season in the Redemption Island competitions.
- Kat and Hayden introduced as The Legion of Doom. www.youtube.com/watch?v=
- Monica and Brad introduced as Macho Man Randy Savage and Miss Elizabeth. www.youtube.com/watch?v=
After one episode it’s tough to get a good feel on the dynamics of both tribes other than the females appearing to be in trouble on the newbie tribe. Like any good Wrestling match were in store for some good ebbs and flows, with some good old fashion backstabbing. I expect that next week we all will have a better feel for how the early part of this season will unfold, until then let’s sit back and enjoy the other 24 survivor blogs on this website !!!